Monday, April 28, 2008

Cubicle | Bye 1GB...Hello 4 GB

Sigh... (@^$%&!!!) *Nicole is cursing the person that took her thumb drive*


Yes. I lost my 1GB thumb drive. My Sandisk Cruzer Micro USB 2.0 Flash Drive. I happen to love it, OK? Maybe it got a bit touchy when I noticed 2 of my colleagues having the same thumb drive but it was 4GB. I was like "Wah!!! 4GB woh!" And that was the last time I saw my 1GB thumb drive. *sob.sob.* ("Thanks" Bryan & Kenny!)


I tried looking high and low but I think it's too heart broken. So, after 2 days of my thumb drive departure, I made up my mind to get a new one when I got my salary. Coincidentally, another colleague of mine ~ Alan *who is still using 512MB??? Hahaha* wants to get one too. So, we headed down to Low Yat and grabbed 2 (with no discount!). Bryan said he got it for RM50 but we found the cheapest at RM54 :( Anyway, I got to pay RM50 only lar. Thanks, Alan!


Now, in the room there are 4 identical thumb drives. Mine, I need to cling something on it so it won't get mixed up.

See mine? *with the clog*


Happily I showed off to the rest of the team. Then, suddenly there is this virus ~ Disk Knight! Supposedly a "beneficial virus" (hello? is there a thing called beneficial virus?) Developed by a Bangladeshi saying that it will prevent flash drive viruses from spreading. You mean by having a Disk Knight virus to prevent viruses from flash drive to spread?

~taken from
Disk Knight, software designed to protect PCs from infection launched from a USB memory stick, apparently installs itself on everything in sight.
About a month ago we received a report of an alleged security program designed to protect computers against malicious programs that use USB memory sticks to spread. A good example of
malware that spreads using removable USB media is W32/LiarVB-A. The alleged security software, named Disk Knight, is developed by a Bangladeshi student and its idea is simple: if a USB key is protected by Disk Knight the program will prevent the launch of any other process on the computer and display a message prompting the user to block or allow the starting process. Since USB malware is typically launched when the USB key is inserted, Disk Knight can prevent any virus from infecting the computer via that route. This sounds like a good idea. However, the problem is in the implementation. Once the Disk Knight program is installed and starts protecting the computer, it will copy itself to every inserted "unprotected" USB key, making it "protected". Furthermore, if the newly protected USB key is subsequently inserted into another computer, Disk Knight will run and install itself onto the computer, all without the user's consent. This behaviour and the lack of control from the user side makes Disk Knight a computer virus.

I hope that I didn't bore you to death with this. Just be careful where you jab your thumb drive to next time.

No comments: